LEVICK- from the Old English personal name Leofeca or Leofric. Alternatively from the Old French l'évêque meaning 'the bishop'.
Five Generations of Levicks
The names in the table below appear in the text which follows it:
Descendants of George Levick of Worksop , Nottinghamshire
1. George Levick.
He was married to Mary Downes on 9 Aug 1768 in Worksop. Children of George Levick and Mary Downes were:
+2 i. Sarah Levick.
+3 ii. Thomas Levick.
4 iii. Elizabeth Levick was born on 10 Nov 1777 in Worksop. She died before 1784.
+5 iv. Ann Levick.
+6 v. John Levick.
7 vi. Elizabeth Levick was born on 26 May 1784.
+8 vii. James Levick.
9 viii. Samuel Levick was born on 1 Jul 1786 in Worksop.
10 ix. William Levick was born on 21 Oct 1790 in Worksop.
2. Sarah Levick was born on 4 Dec 1773 in Worksop.
She was married to John Jackson on 28 Oct 1796 in Worksop.
3. Thomas Levick was born on 18 Nov 1775 in Worksop.
He was married to Elizabeth Cartwright on 9 Feb 1801 in Hayton, Notts.
5. Ann Levick was born on 30 Jan 1780 in Worksop.
She was married to Thomas Woods on 25 Nov 1806 in Worksop.
6. John Levick was born on 11 May 1782 in Worksop.
He was married to Esther Wood on 9 Jun 1803 in Worksop.
8. James Levick was born in 1786 in Worksop. He died in 1831 in Blyth, Nottinghamshire.
He was married to Hannah on 17 Jun 1811 in Blyth, Nottinghamshire. by banns published in the Chapel of Austerfield, in the presence of Ann Smith, Charles Smith, Elizabeth Levick. Hannah was born about 1792. and she died in 1834. Children of James Levick and Hannah were:
11 i. William Smith Levick was born about 1815 in Blyth , Nottinghamshire. He died in 1833.
12 ii. Mary Levick was born in 1814. She was born about 1815 in Blyth, Nottinghamshire. She died in 1833.
13 iii. Ann Levick was born about 1818 in Blyth, Nottinghamshire. She died in 1835.
14 iv. Elizabeth Levick was born about 1821 in Blyth, Nottinghamshire. She died in 1835.
15 v. Charles Levick was born about 1824 in Misson, Nottinghamshire. He died in 1839.
+16 vi. Henry Levick.
+17 vii. John Levick.
+18 viii. Robert Levick.
16. Henry Levick ( pictured ) was born on 21 Jan 1825 in Misson, Nottinghamshire. He was living at 71 High St, Lincoln in 1855. He died in 1905 in Thrapston, Northants. For many years he resided at 6 Green Hill , Little Gonerby , Grantham , Lincs. He was a tanner .
His wife Ann Elizabeth Legard was born on 15 Mar 1831 in Horkstow, Lincs. She died in 1904 in Thrapston, Northants. She was called in the Spilman family 'Aunt Annie Legard'.
Children of Henry Levick and Ann Elizabeth Legard were:
19 i. Mary E Levick was born in 1852 in Lincoln.
20 ii. Annie L Levick was born in 1855 in Lincoln.
+21 iii. Henrietta Levick.
22 iv. Emily Gertrude Levick was born in 1859 in Little Gonerby, Grantham , Lincs. She was a Midwife. Family legend says that her first delivery was Thomas L Spilman and that Helena M Spilman was her last. In old age ,she was poor and T L Spilman used to send her money at Xmas.
+23 v. Helena Blanche Levick.
24 vi. William A Byron Levick was born in 1863 in Little Gonerby, Grantham , Lincs. Perhaps named after his great-uncle William Byron.
25 vii. Florence Emma Levick was born in 1866 in Little Gonerby, Grantham , Lincs. She died in 1881.
+26 viii. Ellen (Nellie) Levick.
17. John Levick was born on 9 Dec 1827 in Blyth,Nottinghamshire. He died on 10 Jan 1889 in Newark.
He was married to Sarah Anne Moxon on 20 Sep 1849 in Gainsborough. Children of John Levick and Sarah Anne Moxon were:
+27 i. Frederick Tonge Levick.
18. Robert Levick was born in 1830 in Ranskill. He appeared on the census in 1881 at 121 Rendlesham Road, Hackney.
His wife Mary was born in 1830 or 31 in Ranskill. Children of Robert Levick and Mary were:
28 i. Mary G Levick was born in 1852 in Ranskill.
29 ii. Clara E Levick was born in 1862 in New Cross, London,
30 iii. Henry E Levick was born in France in 1865.
31 iv. Isabella E Levick was born in 1869 in Grantham.
21. Henrietta Levick was born in 1857 in Little Gonerby ,Grantham. She is believed to have married a Mr Hutchinson .
|23.||23. Helena Blanche Levick (pictured)
was born on 15 Mar 1860 in Little Gonerby, Grantham ,
Lincs. She died on 15 May 1933 of a heart attack . She
had asked that a vein be cut after she was pronounced
dead, as she was afraid of premature burial. This was
carried out, although the doctor did assure everybody that she
really was dead ...|
She was married to Thomas Spilman in 1890 in Thrapston, Northants. Thomas Spilman was born on 3 Nov 1860 in Whitton. He died on 7 Jul 1915 of TB.
Children of Helena Blanche Levick and Thomas Spilman were:
+32 i. Harriet Gertrude Spilman.
+33 ii. Thomas Levick Spilman.
34 iii. Henry Spilman was born on 10 Oct 1895. He died on 2 May 1917 in Arras Pas de Calais having been killed in Action
DUISANS BRITISH CEMETERY, ETRUN, Pas de Calais, Grave Reference/Panel Number: IV. B. 9.
+35 iv. Mary Aitken (Molly) Spilman.
26. Ellen (Nellie) Levick was born in 1870 in Little Gonerby, Grantham , Lincs.
Ellen (Nellie) Levick and Ives had no known children.
27. Frederick Tonge Levick was born on 27 Jan 1851 in 25 Pennington St, Hull . He died on 2 May 1905 in Innisfail, Alta, Canada. He died on 20 May 1905 in Innisfail, Alberta, Canada.
He was married to Sarah Ann Hewson on 12 Aug 1874 in the Parish Church of Barton St Peter, Lincs, England. Sarah Ann Hewson was born on 14 Aug 1852 in Market Lane, Barton on Humber, . She died on 30 Oct 1891 in Coddington, Notts, She was buried in the Parish Churchyard, Coddington, Notts, England.
Children of Frederick Tonge Levick and Sarah Ann Hewson were:
36 i. (male stillborn) Levick was born on 21 May 1875 in New Cross, London, England.
+37 ii. Annie Hewson Levick.
38 iii. Phoebe Grace Levick was born on 2 Jun 1878 in New Cross, London, England. She died on 28 Oct 1891 in Coddington, Nottingham, England.
39 iv. John Hewson Levick was born on 5 Jan 1880 in Barton on Humber. He died on 17 Sep 1880 in Barton on Humber.
+40 v. Jessie Sophia Levick.
+41 vi. William Hewson Levick.
42 vii. (male stillborn) Levick was born on 14 Dec 1884 in Newark, Notts.
+43 viii. Eleanor Levick.
44 ix. Frederick Henry (Dick) Levick was born on 16 Jul 1888 in Coddington, Nottinghamshire, England. He died on 11 Jul 1954 in Kimberley, BC, Canada.
+45 x. Dorothy Levick.
Frederick Tonge Levick was afterwards married to Isabelle Stuart on 12 Nov 1900 in Calgary, AB, Canada. Isabelle Stuart was born on 18 Feb 1867 in Canada. Children of Frederick Tonge Levick and Isabelle Stuart were:
+46 i. John Stuart Levick.
+47 ii. Thomas Morley Levick.
48 iii. Charles Edward Levick was born on 17 Jul 1904 in Little Red Deer, Alta, Canada. He died on 18 Oct 1910 in Innisfail, Alta, Canada.
32. Harriet Gertrude Spilman was born on 3 Jul 1891. She died on 17 Apr 1954 of cancer
She married Clement James Coulthurst who was born in 1894 and who died in 1966. He was a farmer of Manor Farm, West Halton. Children of Harriet Gertrude Spilman and Clement James Coulthurst were:
+49 i. James Coulthurst died 2000
+50 ii. Levick Coulthurst died 2012
33. Thomas Levick Spilman was born on 8 Feb 1893. He died on 7 Mar 1976 of a stroke He was buried in Whitton.
He was married to Kate Coulthurst on 12 Apr 1917. Kate Coulthurst was born in 1890 and she died on 15 Jan 1959. Children of Thomas Levick Spilman and Kate Coulthurst were:
Helena Mary Spilman. (my mother) died 1995
52 ii. Thomas Levick Noel Spilman was born on 25 Dec 1922 in Whitton. He died on 23 Oct 1944 in Forli Italy , Killed in action in Italy. CESENA WAR CEMETERY, Italy Grave Reference/ Panel Number: VII, F, 13.
Patricia Coulthurst Spilman died 2005
+54 iv. Kathleen Anne Aitken Spilman.
35. Mary Aitken (Molly) Spilman was born on 27 Aug 1894. She died on 13 May 1979 in Bonby, Lincs., England. cancer
She was married to Herbert Wood on 16 Jul 1919 in Whitton, Lincs, England. Herbert Wood was born on 1 Feb 1890and he died in 1964. He served in the Lincolnshire Yeomanry Cavalry during World War 1 as a platoon-machine gunner He was a Bank Accountant (Under-Manager) in Sheffield, England. He retired to Bonby, Lincs . Children of Mary Aitken (Molly) Spilman and Herbert Wood were:
+55 i. Ian Arthur Wood died 2007
+56 ii. Henry Spilman Wood died 1989
57 iii. Michael Levick Wood was born on 23 Jun 1923and he died on 3 Feb 1924
+58 iv. Antony Levick Wood.
37. Annie Hewson Levick was born on 30 Oct 1876 in New Cross, London, England. She died on 25 Sep 1937 in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
She was married to John Jr. Brown on 1 Nov 1893 in AB, Canada. John Jr. Brown was born on 17 Jun 1870 in Scotland. He died on 1 Jan 1921 in Armstrong, BC, Canada. Children of Annie Hewson Levick and John Jr. Brown were:
+59 i. Robert Hugh Brown.
+60 ii. Dorothy Isabel Brown.
+61 iii. Margaret Eleanor Brown.
+62 iv. Jessie May Brown.
+63 v. Lilian Grace Brown.
64 vi. Frances Annie Brown was born on 16 Jul 1902 in Innisfail, AB, Canada. He died on 28 Dec 1905 in Innisfail, AB, Canada.
65 vii. John Arthur Brown was born on 19 Sep 1903 in Little Red Deer, Innisfail AB, Canada. He died on 7 Apr 1950 in Edmonton, AB, Canada. He was buried on 10 Apr 1950 in Innisfail Cemetery, Innisfail, AB, Canada.
+66 viii. Frederick James Brown.
+67 ix. Alice Evelyn Brown.
68 x. Jean Brown was born on 14 Sep 1909 in Innisfail, AB, Canada. She died on 20 Dec 1943 in Vancouver, BC, Canada. She was buried on 22 Dec 1943 in Ocean View Burial Park, Burnaby, BC, Canada.
+69 xi. Donald Brown.
+70 xii. Charles Henry (Harry) Brown.
+71 xiii. William Gordon Brown.
72 xiv. "Stillborn" Brown was born on 11 Oct 1920.
40. Jessie Sophia Levick was born on 11 Jul 1881 in Newark, Nottinghamshire, England. She died in Oct 1941.
She was married to James Stephens on 9 Jan 1905 in Innisfail, Alta, Canada. Children of Jessie Sophia Levick and James Stephens were:
+73 i. Jim Stephens.
+74 ii. John Fredrick (Jack) Stephens.
41. William Hewson Levick was born on 4 Dec 1882 in Newark, Nottinghamshire . He died on 18 Jan 1962 in Ponoka, Alta, Canada.
He was married to Mary Conway on 13 Nov 1917. Mary Conway was born on 18 Mar 1892 in Wawseata, Michigan, USA. She died on 1 Sep 1967 in Crossfield, Alta, Canada.
43. Eleanor Levick was born on 25 Nov 1886 in Coddington, Nottinghamshire, England. She died on 9 Jan 1976 in Calgary, Alta, Canada.
She was married to Samuel Beck McKeague on 22 Mar 1922 in Pro-Cathedral, Calgary, Alta, Canada. Samuel Beck McKeague was born on 26 Aug 1891 in Cullies, Shercock, Co Cavan, Ireland. He was christened on 31 Dec 1891 in Corraneary Presbyterian Church, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan, Ireland. He died on 28 May 1976 in Calgary, Alta, Canada.
45. Dorothy Levick was born on 22 May 1890 in Coddington, Notts, England. She died on 2 Jan 1986 in Modesto, CA, USA.
46. John Stuart Levick was born on 18 Sep 1901 in Innisfail, Alta, Canada. He died on 8 Aug 1969.
He was married to Kathleen Mae Knauf on 24 Dec 1925. She was born on 21 Aug 1903.
47. Thomas Morley Levick was born on 2 Feb 1903 in Innisfail, Alta, Canada. He died on 3 Dec 1943.
Thomas Morley Levick was married to Agnes Eleanor McCullum.